Grits Casserole Recipe
Grits is a main ingredient for many Southern meals. I've had this recipe for years and never grow tired of it. It's especially good to serve on a lazy weekend, since leftover portions are very tasty served cold.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. Bake: 50 min. YIELD:10 servings
- 1 pound Jimmy Dean® Premium Pork Sausage Roll
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1. Crumble sausage into a large skillet. Cook over medium heat until no longer pink; drain and set aside. In a saucepan, bring water and salt to a boil. Slowly stir in grits. Reduce heat and cook 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot grits into the eggs; return all to the saucepan, stirring constantly. Add the sausage, 1 cup cheese, milk and butter, stirring until the butter is melted.
- 2. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until the top begins to brown. Yield: 10 servings.
1/2 cup equals 280 calories, 20 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 133 mg cholesterol, 602 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 11 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC