This deliciously different appetizer showcases two Mississippi staples--grits and shrimp. I know your family will enjoy them as much as mine!
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking grits
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste
- 1 pound uncooked small shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 2 packages (1.9 ounces each) frozen miniature phyllo tart shells
- In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil. Gradually stir in grits. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 4 minutes. Stir in the cheeses, 1 tablespoon butter, garlic salt, salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet, saute shrimp and onions in remaining butter until shrimp turn pink. Fill tart shells with grits; top with shrimp mixture. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Grits 'n' Shrimp Tarts in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2007, p31
Reviews for Grits 'n' Shrimp Tarts
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Nov. 27, 2009
"I have made this before for a Christmas party. It was the hit of the night. Everyone wanted more!! For something different chop fried bacon and sprinkle on top."