A Mississippi home cook gave me her recipe for grits casserole. It baked like traditional custard. I garnish it with parsley, crumbled bacon and cheese.—Theresa Liguori, Elkridge, MD
Featured In: 19 Side Dishes Made in a 13x9 Pan
- 4-1/2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits
- 8 large eggs
- 8 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Gouda cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large saucepan, bring water, salt and pepper to a boil. Slowly stir in grits. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, covered, about 5 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Pour grits into a greased 2-1/2-qt. souffle dish; cool completely.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs; pour over grits. Sprinkle with bacon and cheese.
- Place casserole in a larger baking pan; add 1 in. of hot water to larger pan. Bake, covered, 45 minutes. Uncover; bake 30-40 minutes longer or until knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Make-Ahead: Refrigerate unbaked casserole, covered, several hours or overnight. To use, preheat oven to 350°. Remove casserole from refrigerator while oven heats. Place casserole in a larger baking pan; add 1 in. of hot water to larger pan. Bake, as directed, increasing time as necessary for a knife inserted near the center to come out clean. Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Grits & Bacon Casserole in Breakfast & Brunch Bookazine 2015, p30
Reviews for Grits & Bacon Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review