Grilled Venison and Vegetables
My husband enjoys hunting, and it's my challenge to find new ways to serve venison. This recipe makes hearty kabobs perfect for grilling. The marinade reduces the "wild" taste, so guests often don't realize they're eating venison.
—Eva MiIler-Videtich, Cedar Springs, Michigan
4-6 ServingsPrep: 10 min. + marinating Grill: 15 min.
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- Dash pepper
- Dash garlic powder
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless venison steak, cut into 1-1/4-inch cubes
- 8 to 12 cherry tomatoes
- 8 to 12 fresh mushrooms, optional
- 1/2 medium green or sweet red pepper, cut into 1-1/2 inch pieces
- 1 to 2 small zucchini, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 large onion, cut into wedges
- 8 to 12 small new potatoes, parboiled
- In a glass bowl or plastic bag, combine vinegar, honey, soy sauce,
- ketchup, pepper and garlic powder; set aside 1/4 cup for vegetables.
- Set aside 3/4 cup for basting. Add meat to bowl or bag; stir or
- shake to coat. Cover (or close bag) and refrigerate for 4 hours. One
- hour before grilling, toss vegetables with 1/4 cup reserved
- Drain and discard marinade from meat.
- Thread meat and vegetables alternately on skewers. Grill over