Grilled Veggie Sausage Pizza Recipe
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1-1/3 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 5 teaspoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3-1/4 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1-1/2 cups pizza sauce
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add the sugar, oil, salt, garlic salt, oregano and 1-1/2 cups flour. Stir in enough of the remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- 3. Wrap foil over the outside bottom of two 12-in. pizza pans; grease pans and set aside. In a skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain and set aside. Divide dough in half. On a floured surface, roll each portion into a 13-in. circle. Transfer to prepared pans; build up edges slightly.
- 4. Spread pizza sauce over crusts; sprinkle with sausage, cheese, mushrooms and peppers. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 15-20 minutes or until bottom of crust is browned and cheese is melted. Yield: 2 pizzas (8 slices each).
1 serving (2 slices) equals 416 calories, 18 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 43 mg cholesterol, 572 mg sodium, 47 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 16 g protein.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.