Grilled Veggie Sandwiches Recipe
Get a grip on lunch! Here's a fun recipe for using up those summer garden veggies. Meat-eaters won't even miss the meat in these hefty, fresh-tasting, grilled sandwiches. —Melissa Wilbanks, Memphis, Tennessee
- 1 small zucchini
- 1 small yellow summer squash
- 1 small eggplant
- Cooking spray
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 large sweet red pepper, cut into rings
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- 3 ounces fat-free cream cheese
- 1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Cut the zucchini, squash and eggplant into 1/4-in.-thick strips; spritz with cooking spray. Spritz onion and red pepper with cooking spray.
- 2. Grill vegetables, covered, over medium heat for 4-5 minutes on each side or until crisp-tender. Remove and keep warm. Grill buns, cut side down, over medium heat for 30-60 seconds or until toasted.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine the cheeses, garlic, salt and pepper; spread over bun bottoms. Top with vegetables. Replace bun tops. Yield: 4 servings.
1 sandwich equals 231 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 438 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 10 g fiber, 11 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC