Grilled Veggie Sandwiches with Cilantro Pesto Recipe
- 2/3 cup packed fresh cilantro sprigs
- 1/4 cup packed fresh parsley sprigs
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Cooking spray
- 2 large sweet red peppers
- 4 slices eggplant (1/2 inch thick)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded Galbani® Part Skim Mozzarella Cheese
- 4 hard rolls, split
- 1. For pesto, place the cilantro, parsley, Parmesan cheese and garlic in a small food processor; cover and pulse until chopped. Add water and pine nuts; cover and process until blended. While processing, gradually add oil in a steady stream. Set aside.
- 2. Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill peppers over medium heat for 10-15 minutes or until the skins blister, turning frequently.
- 3. Immediately place peppers in a large bowl; cover and let stand for 15-20 minutes. Peel off and discard charred skin. Halve and seed peppers; set aside.
- 4. Lightly coat eggplant on both sides with cooking spray; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 3-5 minutes on each side or until tender.
- 5. Top each eggplant slice with a pepper half; sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Grill, covered, for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted. Spread each roll with 1 tablespoon reserved pesto; top each with an eggplant stack. Replace roll tops. Yield: 4 servings.
1 sandwich equals 290 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 717 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 12 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.