“I first ate this sandwich while vacationing in Sedona, Arizona and fell in love with it. When I returned home, I developed this one that tastes just like the original.” —Carolyn Phenicie of Titusville, Pennsylvania
- 2/3 cup packed fresh cilantro sprigs
- 1/4 cup packed fresh parsley sprigs
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large sweet red peppers
- 4 slices eggplant (1/2 inch thick)
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 4 kaiser rolls, split
- For pesto, place cilantro, parsley, Parmesan cheese and garlic in a small food processor; pulse until chopped. Add water and pine nuts; process until blended. While processing, slowly add oil.
- Grill peppers, covered, over medium heat 10-15 minutes or until skins are blistered and blackened, turning occasionally. Immediately place peppers in a large bowl; let stand, covered, 20 minutes. Peel off and discard charred skin. Cut peppers in half; remove stems and seeds.
- Lightly spritz both sides of eggplant slices with cooking spray; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill, covered, over medium heat 3-5 minutes on each side or until tender. Top with peppers; sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Grill, covered, 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted; remove from grill.
- Spread roll bottoms with pesto. Top with eggplant stacks and roll tops. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Grilled Veggie Sandwiches with Cilantro Pesto in Healthy Cooking August/September 2008, p37
Reviews for Grilled Veggie Sandwiches with Cilantro Pesto
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review