Grilled Veggie Sandwiches with Cilantro Pesto Recipe
- 2/3 cup packed fresh cilantro sprigs
- 1/4 cup packed fresh parsley sprigs
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Cooking spray
- 2 large sweet red peppers
- 4 slices eggplant (1/2 inch thick)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 4 hard rolls, split
- For pesto, place the cilantro, parsley, Parmesan cheese and garlic in a small food processor; cover and pulse until chopped. Add water and pine nuts; cover and process until blended. While processing, gradually add oil in a steady stream. Set aside.
- Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill peppers over medium heat for 10-15 minutes or until the skins blister, turning frequently.
- Immediately place peppers in a large bowl; cover and let stand for 15-20 minutes. Peel off and discard charred skin. Halve and seed peppers; set aside.
- Lightly coat eggplant on both sides with cooking spray; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 3-5 minutes on each side or until tender.
- Top each eggplant slice with a pepper half; sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Grill, covered, for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted. Spread each roll with 1 tablespoon reserved pesto; top each with an eggplant stack. Replace roll tops. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Grilled Veggie Sandwiches with Cilantro Pesto in Healthy Cooking August/September 2008, p37
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Grilled Veggie Sandwiches with Cilantro Pesto
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review