Get a grip on lunch! Here's a fun recipe for using up those summer garden veggies. Meat-eaters won't even miss the meat in these hefty, fresh-tasting, grilled sandwiches. —Melissa Wilbanks, Memphis, Tennessee
- 1 small zucchini
- 1 small yellow summer squash
- 1 small eggplant
- Cooking spray
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 large sweet red pepper, cut into rings
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- 3 ounces fat-free cream cheese
- 1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Cut the zucchini, squash and eggplant into 1/4-in.-thick strips; spritz with cooking spray. Spritz onion and red pepper with cooking spray.
- Grill vegetables, covered, over medium heat for 4-5 minutes on each side or until crisp-tender. Remove and keep warm. Grill buns, cut side down, over medium heat for 30-60 seconds or until toasted.
- In a small bowl, combine the cheeses, garlic, salt and pepper; spread over bun bottoms. Top with vegetables. Replace bun tops. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Grilled Veggie Sandwiches in Healthy Cooking June/July 2009, p43
Reviews for Grilled Veggie Sandwiches
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review