Grilled Vegetable Sandwiches Recipe
- 3 large sweet red peppers
- 3 medium red onions
- 3 large zucchini
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup minced fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 12 submarine buns, split
- 24 slices cheddar cheese
- 3 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 3/4 cup hummus
- 1. Cut the red peppers into eighths; cut onions and zucchini into 1/2-in. slices. Brush vegetables with oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill vegetables in batches, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 4-5 minutes on each side or until crisp-tender. Cool.
- 2. Combine the mayonnaise, basil, lemon juice and garlic; spread over bun bottoms. Layer with cheese, grilled vegetables and tomatoes. Spread hummus over bun tops; replace tops. Yield: 12 servings.
1 each: 773 calories, 37g fat (15g saturated fat), 65mg cholesterol, 1441mg sodium, 82g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 7g fiber), 29g protein
Reviews for Grilled Vegetable Sandwiches
"A-maz-ing flavor! The first vegetarian entree my husband ever raved about. I make these all year long by oven roasting the veggies (slice and toss with olive oil; spread on cookie sheet, sprinkle with garlic salt & roast in oven at 450 for 15 to 20 minutes), which locks in the flavor better than broiling them. Serve on lightly toasted ciabatta buns... delish!"
"I would not make this sandwich as described because of the amount of sodium."
"Delicious vegetarian sandwich. Love it!"
"The mayo mixture and hummus make this sandwich great!"
"Fantastic sandwich! Will make it a regular addition to our cookbook!"