Grilled Vegetable Sandwich Recipe
Wow! Meat lovers won’t even miss the meat, but they will rave about the simply fabulous flavor of this hearty grilled veggie sandwich! It’s wonderful with ciabatta bread’s crispy crust and light, airy texture. This recipe’s a keeper! —Diana Tseperkas, Hamden, Connecticut
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + marinating Grill: 10 min. YIELD:4 servings
- 1 medium zucchini, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, quartered
- 1 small red onion, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/4 cup prepared Italian salad dressing
- 1 loaf ciabatta bread (14 ounces), split
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the zucchini, pepper, onion and salad dressing. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Drain and discard marinade.
- 2. Brush cut sides of bread with oil; set aside. Place vegetables on grill rack. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 4-5 minutes on each side or until crisp-tender. Remove and keep warm. Grill bread, oil side down, over medium heat for 30-60 seconds or until toasted.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, lemon juice, peel and garlic. Spread over bread bottom; sprinkle with cheese. Top with vegetables and remaining bread. Cut into four slices. Yield: 4 servings.
1 slice equals 484 calories, 20 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 862 mg sodium, 69 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 13 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC