Grilled Vegetable Orzo Salad Recipe
- 1-1/4 cups uncooked orzo pasta
- 1/2 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 1 medium zucchini, cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 medium sweet yellow or red pepper, halved
- 1 large portobello mushroom, stem removed
- 1/2 medium red onion, halved
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- 1. Cook orzo according to package directions. Place vegetables in a large bowl. In a small bowl, whisk dressing ingredients. Add to vegetables and toss to coat.
- 2. Remove vegetables, reserving dressing. Grill mushroom, pepper and onion, covered, over medium heat 5-10 minutes or until tender, turning occasionally. Grill asparagus and zucchini, covered, 3-4 minutes or until desired doneness, turning occasionally.
- 3. When cool enough to handle, cut vegetables into bite-size pieces. In a large bowl, combine cooked orzo, grilled vegetables, tomatoes, parsley, basil, salt, pepper and reserved dressing; toss to combine. Serve at room temperature or refrigerate until cold. Just before serving, stir in cheese. Yield: 8 servings.
3/4 cup: 260 calories, 12g fat (3g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 352mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein Diabetic Exchanges:1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 fat
Reviews for Grilled Vegetable Orzo Salad
"I've made this several times, it is absolutely delicious! I add goat cheese crumbles in place of the feta. It is fantastic and always a big hit!"
"This sounds delicious. I plan to make it today using Quinoa."
"Also I made this salad for my barbeque party. My guest went crazy over it !!!!"
"This recipe is a favorite of mine, perfect for summertime. I make a boatload for parties and it disappears every time. Use the good whole feta & cut it in chunks yourself. I found it on Ina Garten's website, she bakes her veggies on a big sheet & includes eggplant & toasted pignoli nuts (pine nuts)...otherwise it's a similar recipe. It is even better the next day. You literally can't stop eating it. Good on a hot day, a nice stable salad dish (no mayo) you can make ahead & assemble at the last minute. It's good warm, cold...standing in front of the fridge. Yummo!"
"this is one of the best pasta salads i have made..it is very versatile and you can add chicken to this and make it a meal and serve warm..i used fresh mozarella in this recipe and worked well.."
"This is such a great recipe for summer time when there are lots of fresh veggies. But...I loved the smell so much in cooking it that I served mine warm. I did have quite a few more mushrooms and I fixed chicken breasts on the side if anyone wanted one. However...mostly they ate this salad. Served some warm bread on the side too."
"I used rice instead of orzo, as well, and served with shredded turkey. It was outstanding."
"This was delicious!"
"This salad is excellent! Orzo is a nice change from traditional pasta salads. I did throw in some cooked wild rice, as I am from northern Minnesota where it is abundant & I like to put it in alot of my salads."
"I have made this twice and have received tons of requests for the recipe. Delicious, may add shredded chicken to make it a meal!"
"This should be a contest winning recipe! It's so flavorful and great for summer time!! Will make again and again with our garden harvest to come!"
"I made this with rice because I didn't have any orzo. My family loved it!"
"This is an awesome switch up on pasta salad. Grilling the veggies gives an awesome flavor. I am making thus again as soon as possible. Throw in some kalamata olives too."
"I made this today for Easter supper with family....it was delicious and went over really well with everyone. I made just a couple of minor changes - I used tarragon vinegar, which is what I had on hand, and instead of grilling the vegetables, I put them under the oven broiler and turned them every so often. Loved the light dressing and the flavor of all the vegetables."