Grilled Tomato with Fresh Corn Recipe
- 6 tomato slices (1/2 inch thick)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- GRILLED CORN TOPPING:
- 2 large ears sweet corn, husks removed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons sliced ripe olives
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 cup crumbled queso fresco or feta cheese
- Toasted French bread baguette slices, optional
- 1. Sprinkle tomatoes with salt and pepper.
- 2. Brush corn with 1 tablespoon oil. Grill, covered, over medium heat 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned, turning occasionally. Grill tomato slices 1-2 minutes on each side or until lightly browned.
- 3. Cool corn slightly. Cut corn from cobs; transfer to a small bowl. Stir in green onion, parsley, olives, capers, garlic, lemon juice, lemon peel and remaining oil.
- 4. Serve corn mixture over tomatoes; sprinkle with cheese. If desired, serve with baguette slices. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (calculated without baguette slices) equals 123 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 263 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1 starch.