After having one too many BLT's one summer, I started making these instead. I actually like these sandwiches a lot better! --Wendy Stenman
- 8 slices tomato (3/4 inch thick)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 6 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 round cheese focaccia bread or focaccia bread of your choice (12 inches), halved lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup chopped water-packed artichoke hearts, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups torn romaine or spinach
- Sprinkle one side of tomato slices with 1/8 teaspoon salt. Place salt side down on paper towels for 10 minutes. Repeat with second side. In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, lemon juice and garlic; set aside.
- Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Place bread cut side down on grill. Place tomatoes on grill. Grill, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 2 minutes or until bread is golden brown.
- Sprinkle tomatoes with the vinegar, pepper and remaining salt. Spread mayonnaise mixture over bread. On the bottom half, layer tomatoes, artichokes and romaine; replace bread top. Cut into wedges; serve immediately. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Grilled Tomato Sandwiches in Test Kitchen Favorites 2004 2005, p75
Reviews for Grilled Tomato Sandwiches
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review