Grilled Tomatillo Chicken for Two Recipe
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 2 slices provolone cheese
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 tomatillos, husks removed, chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 pickled jalapeno slices, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked rice
- Sour cream, optional
- 1. Moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, lightly coat the grill rack. Grill chicken, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 4-7 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 170°. Top with cheese; cook 1 minute longer or until cheese is melted.
- 2. In a large skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Add the tomatillos, lime juice, jalapenos and garlic; cook 3 minutes longer. Stir in the cilantro, cumin, salt and pepper. Serve tomatillo mixture and chicken and with rice; dollop with sour cream if desired. Yield: 2 servings.
1 chicken breast half with 1/2 cup tomatillo mixture (calculated without rice and sour cream) equals 324 calories, 14 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 109 mg cholesterol, 596 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 40 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 1-1/2 fat, 1 vegetable.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.