Grilled Sweet Onions Recipe
- 4 large sweet onions
- 4 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 teaspoons white wine or beef broth, optional
- 1. With a sharp knife, carefully remove a 1-in. core from the center of each onion. Cut each onion into four wedges to within 1/2 in. of root end.
- 2. Place each onion on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 12 in. square). Place bouillon in the centers of onions; top with butter, thyme, salt and pepper. Drizzle with wine if desired. Fold foil around onions and seal tightly.
- 3. Prepare grill for indirect heat. Grill onions, covered, over indirect medium heat for 35-40 minutes or until tender. Open foil carefully to allow steam to escape. Yield: 4 servings.
1 each: 172 calories, 12g fat (7g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 1099mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 2g protein.
Reviews for Grilled Sweet Onions
"I read the reviews about the salt, and realized that not only does the bouillon have salt, but so does butter...then there's the added salt. I am cooking for one (me) and so I used one sweet onion, 1 tsp bouillon paste, a drizzle of olive oil, pepper and thyme. I totally forgot the wine. I baked mine for almost an hour, and it turned out so delicious. It's like French onion soup without the broth. There was a bit of juice from the packet, so I drizzled the juice over my corn on the cob. Yummy! The only thing I will do differently in the future is use a splash of dry sherry instead of wine. Then it will definitely taste like Brothless French Onion soup. Delicious!"
"I have made these twice now. The first time they were too salty, so I cut back on the bouillon granules and no salt and they were GREAT!"
"Maybe I didn't grill these long enough, but they just weren't that good."
"This is one of my favorites on the grill, taste like french onion soupr"
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.