These onions are so delicious, we prepare them all year long—on the grill in summer, or in an oven preheated to 350° for the same amount of time in winter. A small salad, a slice of bread, and you've got a great light meal. —Mary Bilke, Eagle River, Wisconsin
- 4 large sweet onions
- 4 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 teaspoons white wine or beef broth, optional
- With a sharp knife, carefully remove a 1-in. core from the center of each onion. Cut each onion into four wedges to within 1/2 in. of root end.
- Place each onion on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 12 in. square). Place bouillon in the centers of onions; top with butter, thyme, salt and pepper. Drizzle with wine if desired. Fold foil around onions and seal tightly.
- Prepare grill for indirect heat. Grill onions, covered, over indirect medium heat for 35-40 minutes or until tender. Open foil carefully to allow steam to escape. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Grilled Sweet Onions in Simple & Delicious May/June 2008, p37
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Grilled Sweet Onions
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review