Grilled Sub Sandwich Recipe
- 1 large green pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 loaf (1 pound) unsliced Italian bread
- 1/3 cup prepared Italian salad dressing, divided
- 2 ounces sliced deli turkey
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 2 ounces sliced deli ham
- 3 slices cheddar cheese
- 2 ounces sliced deli pastrami
- 1/2 cup sliced dill pickles
- 1 large tomato, thinly sliced
- Additional olive oil
- 1. In a large bowl, toss green pepper and onion with oil. Place on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 12 in. square). Fold foil around vegetables and seal tightly. Grill, covered, over medium-hot heat for 12-15 minutes or until tender; set aside.
- 2. Cut loaf in half horizontally; remove bread from top half, leaving a 1/2-in. shell (discard removed bread or save for another use). Brush cut sides of loaf with salad dressing; place cut side down on grill. Grill, uncovered, over medium heat for 3-5 minutes or until golden brown.
- 3. Place bottom of loaf on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 18 in. x 12 in.). Layer with turkey, two Swiss cheese slices, ham, cheddar cheese, pastrami and remaining Swiss cheese. Top with green pepper mixture, pickles and tomato.
- 4. Drizzle remaining dressing over cut side of bread top; place over filling. Brush bread with additional oil. Fold foil around sandwich and seal tightly. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 4-8 minutes or until cheese is melted. Cut into slices with a serrated knife. Yield: 4 servings.
1 slice: 0 calories, 0g fat (0g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 0mg sodium, 0g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 0g fiber), 0g protein
Reviews for Grilled Sub Sandwich
"Yum!!!!! Next time I will spritz the foil with some cooking spray or oil before I build the sandwich on it because mine was a little stuck to the foil!!! Not very difficult and super delicious!!!"
"I use whatever cheese and meat and dressing I have on hand and these always turn out great! Thanks so much for submitting!"
"Quite a few steps for a sandwich but worth it. Used pepper jack instead of swiss and salami instead of pastrami."
"We have made this a few times and love it."
"In the words of the TV character "Higgins" O. M. G!"
"Looks like a very good sandwich with variation."