Grilled Sub Sandwich Recipe
After a long hard day at band camp, my daughter comes home with a huge appetite. This sandwich not only satisfies my hungry marcher; it is also fast and easy to prepare. -Char Shanahan Schererville, Indiana
- 1 large green pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 loaf (1 pound) unsliced Italian bread
- 1/3 cup prepared Italian salad dressing, divided
- 2 ounces sliced deli turkey
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 2 ounces sliced deli ham
- 3 slices cheddar cheese
- 2 ounces sliced deli pastrami
- 1/2 cup sliced dill pickles
- 1 large tomato, thinly sliced
- Additional olive oil
- 1. In a large bowl, toss green pepper and onion with oil. Place on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 12 in. square). Fold foil around vegetables and seal tightly. Grill, covered, over medium-hot heat for 12-15 minutes or until tender; set aside.
- 2. Cut loaf in half horizontally; remove bread from top half, leaving a 1/2-in. shell (discard removed bread or save for another use). Brush cut sides of loaf with salad dressing; place cut side down on grill. Grill, uncovered, over medium heat for 3-5 minutes or until golden brown.
- 3. Place bottom of loaf on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 18 in. x 12 in.). Layer with turkey, two Swiss cheese slices, ham, cheddar cheese, pastrami and remaining Swiss cheese. Top with green pepper mixture, pickles and tomato.
- 4. Drizzle remaining dressing over cut side of bread top; place over filling. Brush bread with additional oil. Fold foil around sandwich and seal tightly. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 4-8 minutes or until cheese is melted. Cut into slices with a serrated knife. Yield: 4 servings.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC