Grilled Stuffed Salmon Recipe
- 1 whole salmon (8 pounds)
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1-1/4 teaspoons pepper, divided
- 2 cups unseasoned stuffing cubes
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 3/4 cup butter, melted, divided
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 4-1/2 teaspoons plus 1/4 cup lemon juice, divided
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1. Remove head and tail from salmon if desired. Sprinkle the cavity with 1 teaspoon each salt and pepper.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the stuffing cubes, carrots, mushrooms, onion, parsley, 1/4 cup butter, egg substitute, 4-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice, garlic and remaining salt and pepper; stuff cavity. Secure with metal skewers. Drizzle salmon with oil. Moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, lightly coat the grill rack.
- 3. Prepare grill for indirect heat using a drip pan. Place salmon over drip pan and grill, covered, over indirect medium heat for 40-50 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork and a thermometer reads 165° for stuffing.
- 4. In a small bowl, combine remaining butter and lemon juice. Serve with salmon. Yield: 12 servings.
9 ounces cooked salmon with 1/2 cup stuffing equals 723 calories, 47 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 209 mg cholesterol, 795 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 63 g protein.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.