After hearing the recipe described at a local Italian restaurant, I decided to try to make these peppers at home. Everyone enjoyed the pretty green “shells” brimming with a hearty filling.
- 3 large green peppers
- 1 large tomato, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1-1/2 pounds bulk Italian sausage
- Additional shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Cut peppers in half lengthwise; remove stems and seeds. Set aside. In a large bowl, combine the tomato, cheeses, basil and oregano. Crumble sausage over mixture and mix well. Spoon into pepper halves.
- Prepare grill for indirect heat, using a drip pan. Place peppers over drip pan. Grill, covered, over indirect medium heat for 30-35 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink and peppers are tender. Sprinkle with additional cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Grilled Stuffed Peppers in Country June/July 2009, p51
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Grilled Stuffed Peppers
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review