- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- In a large skillet, saute mushrooms and onion in butter until tender; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, milk, oats, salt and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. On a large piece of heavy-duty foil, pat beef mixture into a 12x8-in. rectangle; spoon mushroom mixture to within 1 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a short side and peeling foil away while rolling. Seal seam and ends. Discard foil.
- Prepare grill for indirect heat, using a drip pan. Form a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 14 in. square); cut three slits in foil. Place meat loaf on foil; place on the grill rack over drip pan.
- Grill, covered, over indirect medium heat for 35 minutes. Combine sauce ingredients; brush over loaf. Grill, covered, 15-20 minutes longer or until meat is no longer pink and a thermometer reads 160°. Let stand for 15 minutes before slicing. Yield: 8 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Grilled Stuffed Meat Loaf
"Excellent meatloaf recipe. First time I had ever cooked one on the grill and it was a great way to do it without heating up the oven (and the house). I added a couple of baked potatoes to the grill rack when we put the meatloaf on and supper was nearly complete--just heated up a bag of frozen peas and added one of my homemade oatmeal dinner rolls. I loved the addition of the saut?ed mushrooms and onions in the middle."
"I cook this in the oven at 375 on a small slotted broiler pan. I cover it for 30 minutes. Cook uncovered for 10 minutes, then cover with ketchup mix. Cook another 10 minutes. I season it with Greek seasoning and replace the oats with seasoned bread crumbs. Love this recipe! My family loves it too."
"Very good recipe although I used 1 lb Italian Sausage and 1 lb ground beef. A also added 2 T fresh oregano and 1 cup grated cheese to the onion/mushroom stuffing."
"EXCELLENT I JUST ADDED GARLIC TOO"
"Great idea, but rolling it seemed too complicated to do with small kids, so I mixed all the ingredients up. We don't have a grill, so I cooked it in a 7x11 pan in the oven at 350 until it was 160 degrees. It tasted okay; our other meatloaf recipe is much better, but it's hard to beat Alton Brown..."
"excellent - very moist!"
"This was a very moist and delicious meatloaf. My family loved it and have made it many times."
"this is an excellent way of getting out of the kitchen in the summer. I changed it a bit adding spinach and shredded mozzarella to thel stuffing mix, also instead of rolling the meat mixture, i made it like a boat filled it and then put the topper on it and sealed the edges...yumbo....heat out of the kitchen...."
"Excellent Recipe! I've shared with others!"