Grilled Stuffed Meat Loaf Recipe
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1. In a large skillet, saute mushrooms and onion in butter until tender; set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the egg, milk, oats, salt and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. On a large piece of heavy-duty foil, pat beef mixture into a 12-in. x 8-in. rectangle; spoon mushroom mixture to within 1 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a short side and peeling foil away while rolling. Seal seam and ends. Discard foil.
- 3. Prepare grill for indirect heat, using a drip pan. Form a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 14 in. square); cut three slits in foil. Place meat loaf on foil; place on the grill rack over drip pan.
- 4. Grill, covered, over indirect medium heat for 35 minutes. Combine sauce ingredients; brush over loaf. Grill, covered, 15-20 minutes longer or until meat is no longer pink and a meat thermometer reads 160°. Let stand for 15 minutes before slicing. Yield: 8 servings.
1 slice equals 266 calories, 14 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 96 mg cholesterol, 434 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 21 g protein.
Reviews for Grilled Stuffed Meat Loaf
"I cook this in the oven at 375 on a small slotted broiler pan. I cover it for 30 minutes. Cook uncovered for 10 minutes, then cover with ketchup mix. Cook another 10 minutes. I season it with Greek seasoning and replace the oats with seasoned bread crumbs. Love this recipe! My family loves it too."
"Very good recipe although I used 1 lb Italian Sausage and 1 lb ground beef. A also added 2 T fresh oregano and 1 cup grated cheese to the onion/mushroom stuffing."
"OMG! This was the most tasteless waste of time! There is nothing in the meatloaf mix to lend any flavor. Ground beef, minimal salt for one and one half lbs. of ground beef, oatmeal and one egg. Where is the flavor? Families request to make it again? Why? We threw our leftovers in the garbage can."
"EXCELLENT I JUST ADDED GARLIC TOO"
"Great idea, but rolling it seemed too complicated to do with small kids, so I mixed all the ingredients up. We don't have a grill, so I cooked it in a 7x11 pan in the oven at 350 until it was 160 degrees. It tasted okay; our other meatloaf recipe is much better, but it's hard to beat Alton Brown..."
"excellent - very moist!"
"This was a very moist and delicious meatloaf. My family loved it and have made it many times."
"this is an excellent way of getting out of the kitchen in the summer. I changed it a bit adding spinach and shredded mozzarella to thel stuffing mix, also instead of rolling the meat mixture, i made it like a boat filled it and then put the topper on it and sealed the edges...yumbo....heat out of the kitchen...."
"Excellent Recipe! I've shared with others!"
"Love this meatloaf recipe. It's a family favorite."
"Very easy and so very delicious.. We grilled it at work and everyone loved it. Thumbs up to another fabulous Taste of Home recipe."
"I used mashed potatoes instead of mushrooms and let it grill about 10 minutes longer. My family requested it again!"
"I make this all the time. It perfect to make in the summer on the grill, and you don't have to heat up the whole house. When I make it in the oven I bake it at 350 for about 1 hour."
"This was delicious. So moist and tasty. I even made it with chicken instead of beef. Very good. I make it in the oven. My family loves it."
"Can this be made in the oven?I sounds so good, but I do not have a grill."
"My husband and daughter do not really care for mushrooms, but the love this recipe! My husband made the comment that this was one of the best meatloaves he has ever had! It was really fun to make!"
"Yes, it can be cooked inthe oven. About 1 hour at 350 degrees. You can also add a little chopped celery to the mushroom onion mixture."
"this is wonderful"
"Can this be cooked in the oven instead of on the grill. If so how long and at what temperature"
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.