Grilled Steak Salad Recipe
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 beef flank steak (1 pound)
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced
- 1 package (5 ounces) spring mix salad greens
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 jar (7 ounces) roasted sweet red peppers, drained and sliced
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1. Combine the salt, garlic powder and pepper; rub over steak. Moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, rub on grill rack to coat lightly.
- 2. Grill steak, covered, over medium heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a meat thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°).
- 3. Place onion slices on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 12 in. square). Fold foil around onion and seal tightly. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 16-20 minutes or until onions are tender. Open foil carefully to allow steam to escape.
- 4. Let steak stand for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the greens, beans, red peppers and grilled onion.
- 5. In a small bowl, whisk the vinegar, basil, oil and mustard. Pour 1/4 cup over salad; toss to coat. Divide among four salad plates. Slice flank steak across the grain; arrange over salads. Drizzle with remaining dressing. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving equals 367 calories, 15 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 54 mg cholesterol, 688 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 30 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 2 fat, 1 starch.
Reviews for Grilled Steak Salad
"Very disappointing flavor, strong vinegar taste over powers even the grilled onions."
"One of my favorite salads"
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.