Grilled Steak Salad with Tomatoes & Avocado Recipe
- 1 beef top sirloin steak (1-1/4 inches thick and 1-1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 teaspoons Creole seasoning
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and cubed (1/2 inch)
- 1. Rub both sides of steak with oil; sprinkle with Creole seasoning. Grill, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from heat 5-8 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Let stand 5 minutes.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, beans, green onions, cilantro, lemon peel, lemon juice and salt; gently stir in avocado. Cut steak into slices; serve with bean mixture. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Grilled Steak Salad with Tomatoes & Avocado
"We just finished eating this. I greatly enjoyed the bean salad especially. Ate half of it straight from the bowl. I did sub red onion for green onions."
"So good... we made this several times last summer and am planning to make it again soon!"
"This is a great summer recipe, but it also works well when the grills are put away for the year. A little lime juice on the 'salsa' tastes good. There are some good commercial Creole seasonings, but homemade works well, too."
"Quick yummy week night dinner! We loved it!"
"Quick and yummy. Served with crusty bread. My husband requested I make it again soon. Might be good with red pepper and some lime juice. Serves 4-5 for sure."
"Just had it for dinner tonight. It's a keeper. I did add a little olive oil to the salad and a yellow pepper."
"Simple and delicious! The steak is perfectly seasoned and the salad is a light, fresh complement. I agree that 12 servings would be a stretch. I made this for my family of 4, and I think there is one serving leftover. My preschool children enjoyed the meat and the salad as well."
"This recipe was good. I thoroughly enjoyed the bean salad. One thing I noticed is it says this recipe serves 12. I'm not sure how a 1.5 pound steak feeds 12. That needs adjusted to 4-5 servings. Otherwise, great meal."
"We really enjoyed this recipe. It was easy, fairly healthy and tasty. As suggested by a previous reviewer I added minced garlic to the salad and also on the steak. I felt like there was something missing from the salad but I cannot put my finger on exactly what that would be. Overall, a nice recipe for a weeknight summer dinner."
"This recipe was simple and quick and most importantly, delicious! I added mango to the salad and it sweetened the salad up just a bit. Yum!!"
"Not entirely sure why the previous review only focused on the temp of the meat, it can be adjusted to preferences. As for the rest of the recipe, it was supremely easy to make, had great flavor, was filling and perfect for a hot summer night! I didn't have any creole seasoning so I just did the spices listed for the steak. Also, for the salad, I found it lacked just a little something when made as directed. I added about a teaspoon of fresh minced garlic and it was PERFECT. I served it with a side of cottage cheese and my 2 1/2 year old ate it up!! Definitely will be making again."
"I am not sure if where you live, BC, if regulations are different for meat temps. But in the USA your internal temps are way off. Medium rare is 135* F, Medium is 145* F, Medium well is 155* F, and Well done is 165* F. Steak at 170* F would be tough and dry, closer to eating jerky. Also, when the steak is resting it will also continue to rise in internal temperature. Not more than a couple of degrees, though. Maybe your internal temp was a type-o. I don't understand why Medium rare is 145* F, and Medium is 160, for a difference of 15* F and well done is only 10* F more than Medium."
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.