- 1 beef top sirloin steak (1-1/4 inches thick and 1-1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 teaspoons Creole seasoning
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and cubed (1/2 inch)
- Rub both sides of steak with oil; sprinkle with Creole seasoning. Grill, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from heat 5-8 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Let stand 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, beans, green onions, cilantro, lemon peel, lemon juice and salt; gently stir in avocado. Cut steak into slices; serve with bean mixture. Yield: 6 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Grilled Steak Salad with Tomatoes & Avocado
"We just finished eating this. I greatly enjoyed the bean salad especially. Ate half of it straight from the bowl. I did sub red onion for green onions."
"So good... we made this several times last summer and am planning to make it again soon!"
"This is a great summer recipe, but it also works well when the grills are put away for the year. A little lime juice on the 'salsa' tastes good. There are some good commercial Creole seasonings, but homemade works well, too."
"This recipe was good. I thoroughly enjoyed the bean salad. One thing I noticed is it says this recipe serves 12. I'm not sure how a 1.5 pound steak feeds 12. That needs adjusted to 4-5 servings. Otherwise, great meal."
"We really enjoyed this recipe. It was easy, fairly healthy and tasty. As suggested by a previous reviewer I added minced garlic to the salad and also on the steak. I felt like there was something missing from the salad but I cannot put my finger on exactly what that would be. Overall, a nice recipe for a weeknight summer dinner."