- 1 beef top sirloin steak (1-1/4 inches thick and 1-1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 teaspoons Creole seasoning
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and cubed (1/2 inch)
- Rub both sides of steak with oil; sprinkle with Creole seasoning. Grill, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from heat 5-8 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Let stand 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, beans, green onions, cilantro, lemon peel, lemon juice and salt; gently stir in avocado. Cut steak into slices; serve with bean mixture. Yield: 6 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Grilled Steak Salad with Tomatoes & Avocado
"We just finished eating this. I greatly enjoyed the bean salad especially. Ate half of it straight from the bowl. I did sub red onion for green onions."
"So good... we made this several times last summer and am planning to make it again soon!"
"This is a great summer recipe, but it also works well when the grills are put away for the year. A little lime juice on the 'salsa' tastes good. There are some good commercial Creole seasonings, but homemade works well, too."
"Quick yummy week night dinner! We loved it!"
"Quick and yummy. Served with crusty bread. My husband requested I make it again soon. Might be good with red pepper and some lime juice. Serves 4-5 for sure."
"Just had it for dinner tonight. It's a keeper. I did add a little olive oil to the salad and a yellow pepper."
"Simple and delicious! The steak is perfectly seasoned and the salad is a light, fresh complement. I agree that 12 servings would be a stretch. I made this for my family of 4, and I think there is one serving leftover. My preschool children enjoyed the meat and the salad as well."
"This recipe was good. I thoroughly enjoyed the bean salad. One thing I noticed is it says this recipe serves 12. I'm not sure how a 1.5 pound steak feeds 12. That needs adjusted to 4-5 servings. Otherwise, great meal."
"We really enjoyed this recipe. It was easy, fairly healthy and tasty. As suggested by a previous reviewer I added minced garlic to the salad and also on the steak. I felt like there was something missing from the salad but I cannot put my finger on exactly what that would be. Overall, a nice recipe for a weeknight summer dinner."
"This recipe was simple and quick and most importantly, delicious! I added mango to the salad and it sweetened the salad up just a bit. Yum!!"