With plenty of sliced steak and veggies, this main dish salad will please even the biggest appetites. It's a terrific dinner on hot summer days or any time you feel like grilling. —Mildred Sherrer, Roanoke, Texas
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 beef flank steak (1 pound)
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced
- 1 package (5 ounces) spring mix salad greens
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 jar (7 ounces) roasted sweet red peppers, drained and sliced
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Combine the salt, garlic powder and pepper; rub over steak. Moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, rub on grill rack to coat lightly.
- Grill steak, covered, over medium heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a meat thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°).
- Place onion slices on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 12 in. square). Fold foil around onion and seal tightly. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 16-20 minutes or until onions are tender. Open foil carefully to allow steam to escape.
- Let steak stand for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the greens, beans, red peppers and grilled onion.
- In a small bowl, whisk the vinegar, basil, oil and mustard. Pour 1/4 cup over salad; toss to coat. Divide among four salad plates. Slice flank steak across the grain; arrange over salads. Drizzle with remaining dressing. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Grilled Steak Salad in Country Woman May/June 2005, p36
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Grilled Steak Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jun. 27, 2014
"Very disappointing flavor, strong vinegar taste over powers even the grilled onions."
Reviewed Apr. 23, 2011
"One of my favorite salads"