Grilled Steak Pinwheels
I've been serving this recipe to family and friends for 20 years and very seldom do I have any leftovers. We try to keep the house cool, so we grill out often. I get most of the herbs in this recipe from my son's garden.
6-8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 2 beef flank steaks (1 pound each), trimmed
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup finely chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil or 4 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- Flatten steaks to 1/4-in. In a large bowl, combine the bacon,
- mushrooms, onions, basil and chives; spread evenly over steaks.
- Roll the meat up and secure with skewers or toothpicks. Cut each roll
- into 1/2- to 3/4-in. slices and secure with a toothpick.
- Grill over medium-hot heat for 4-6 minutes on each side until meat
- reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a meat thermometer should
- read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Remove
- toothpicks. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 145 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 35 mg cholesterol, 185 mg sodium, 1 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 14 g protein.
Wine: Full-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon,