Grilled Steak Pinwheels Recipe
- 2 beef flank steaks (1 pound each), trimmed
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup finely chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil or 4 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- 1. Flatten steaks to 1/4-in. In a large bowl, combine the bacon, mushrooms, onions, basil and chives; spread evenly over steaks.
- 2. Roll the meat up and secure with skewers or toothpicks. Cut each roll into 1/2- to 3/4-in. slices and secure with a toothpick.
- 3. Grill over medium-hot heat for 4-6 minutes on each side until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a meat thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Remove toothpicks. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (2 each) equals 145 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 35 mg cholesterol, 185 mg sodium, 1 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 14 g protein.
Reviews for Grilled Steak Pinwheels
"The steaks were kind of bland."
"This was great!"
"I love this! However, if you want to grill these pinwheels sliced, you really need to MINCE all the ingredients so they will not fall out during grilling. I used larger pieces of basil and also some minced garlic. Grilled the entire flank steak with the skewers in, for about 15 minutes on one side and 5 on the other, then took them off the grill an it was still too rare inside, so I THEN sliced them into pinwheels and put them back on the grill and the ingredients did not fall out. Really a great taste. For 4 people really one flank steak is enough, but up to you. One will serve 4 with lite appetites. I served with grilled pineapple slices and tossed green salad. Nice"
"Barely any flavor and not worth the time and energy making (very messy). I mixed cream cheese and pesto and served it on top as a sauce to make it tasty."
"The combined bacon, mushrooms, onion, basil, and chives is so amazingly delicious. Put all together it is great. I think the filling would be great with any steas just on the side."
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.