Grilled Sirloin with Chili-Beer Barbecue Sauce Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups beer or nonalcoholic beer
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 beef top sirloin steaks (1-1/2 pounds each)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a small saucepan, combine the first ten ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 25-30 minutes or until thickened. Set aside 3/4 cup and keep warm.
- 2. Sprinkle steaks with salt and pepper. Grill steaks, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 9-13 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a meat thermometer should read 145°; medium 160°; well-done 170°), basting occasionally with remaining sauce. Slice meat and serve with reserved sauce. Yield: 8 servings.
5 ounces cooked steak with about 1 tablespoon sauce equals 263 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 69 mg cholesterol, 807 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 37 g protein.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.