Grilled Shrimp Kabobs Recipe
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened pineapple chunks
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined (about 32)
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into chunks
- 1 medium onion, cut into chunks
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the first 10 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- 2. Drain pineapple, reserving 2 tablespoons juice (save remaining juice for another use); set pineapple aside. Stir reserved juice into sauce. Pour half into a small bowl for basting; cover and refrigerate. Pour remaining sauce into a large resealable plastic bag; add shrimp. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 2-3 hours.
- 3. Drain and discard marinade. Alternately thread the shrimp, pineapple, green pepper and onion on eight metal or soaked wooden skewers.
- 4. Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill kabobs, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 5 minutes on each side or until shrimp turn pink, basting occasionally with reserved sauce. Serve with rice. Yield: 4 servings.
One serving (2 kabobs with 3/4 cup rice) equals 428 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 161 mg cholesterol, 775 mg sodium, 71 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 23 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2-1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 fruit, 1 fat.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.