Grilled Prosciutto-Cheddar Sandwiches with Onion Jam Recipe
April is National Grilled Cheese Month - honoring the gooey greatness of toasted bread and melted cheese. The modern version may have started in the 1920s, when sliced bread and American cheese became available. For a modern version full of comfy farmhouse flavors, use raisin bread with onion jam, prosciutto and cheddar. —Susan Andrichuk, New York, New York
- ONION JAM:
- 2 large sweet onions, sliced
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 teaspoons apricot preserves
- 8 slices cinnamon-raisin bread
- 8 thin slices prosciutto or deli ham
- 4 slices aged cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- For jam, place onions and wine in a large skillet; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Stir in the honey, vinegar, pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until liquid is evaporated.
- Stir in preserves; cook 3-5 minutes longer or until onions are glazed. Remove from the heat; cool slightly.
- Spread four bread slices with onion jam. Layer with prosciutto and cheese. Top with remaining bread. Butter outsides of sandwiches.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, toast sandwiches for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown and cheese is melted. Yield: 4 sandwiches (1/2 cup onion jam).
Originally published as Grilled Prosciutto-Cheddar Sandwiches with Onion Jam in Taste of Home April/May 2012, p33
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Grilled Prosciutto-Cheddar Sandwiches with Onion Jam
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Apr. 15, 2012
"A great blend of sweet and savory. The onion jam and cinnamon-raisin bread give a nice lift to a traditional grilled sandwich."