Grilled Prosciutto-Cheddar Sandwiches with Onion Jam Recipe
5 1 1
April is National Grilled Cheese Month, honoring the gooey greatness of toasted bread and melted cheese. The modern version may have started in the 1920s, when sliced bread and American cheese became available. For a modern version full of comfy farmhouse flavors, use raisin bread with onion jam, prosciutto and cheddar. —Susan Andrichuk, New York, New York
Featured In: Our Most Gooey Grilled Cheese Sandwiches Ever
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- ONION JAM:
- 2 large sweet onions, sliced
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 teaspoons apricot preserves
- 8 slices cinnamon-raisin bread
- 8 thin slices prosciutto or deli ham
- 4 slices aged cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- For jam, place onions and wine in a large skillet; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Stir in the honey, vinegar, pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until liquid is evaporated.
- Stir in preserves; cook 3-5 minutes longer or until onions are glazed. Remove from the heat; cool slightly.
- Spread four bread slices with onion jam. Layer with prosciutto and cheese. Top with remaining bread. Butter outsides of sandwiches.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, toast sandwiches for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown and cheese is melted. Yield: 4 sandwiches (1/2 cup onion jam).
Originally published as Grilled Prosciutto-Cheddar Sandwiches with Onion Jam in Taste of Home April/May 2012, p33
Reviews forGrilled Prosciutto-Cheddar Sandwiches with Onion Jam
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review