Grilled Prosciutto-Cheddar Sandwiches with Onion Jam Recipe
- ONION JAM:
- 2 large sweet onions, sliced
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 teaspoons apricot preserves
- 8 slices cinnamon-raisin bread
- 8 thin slices prosciutto or deli ham
- 4 slices aged cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- For jam, place onions and wine in a large skillet; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Stir in the honey, vinegar, pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until liquid is evaporated.
- Stir in preserves; cook 3-5 minutes longer or until onions are glazed. Remove from the heat; cool slightly.
- Spread four bread slices with onion jam. Layer with prosciutto and cheese. Top with remaining bread. Butter outsides of sandwiches.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, toast sandwiches for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown and cheese is melted. Yield: 4 sandwiches (1/2 cup onion jam).
This recipe pairs well with a full-bodied red wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Mike Ditka "The Coach" Cabernet Sauvignon CA 2011, a full-bodied, big bold cab with all of the dark fruit notes and structure that a great cab needs. Buy now and get 6 bottles, plus free shipping. Order Now
Reviews for Grilled Prosciutto-Cheddar Sandwiches with Onion Jam
Sort By :
A great blend of sweet and savory. The onion jam and cinnamon-raisin bread give a nice lift to a traditional grilled sandwich.