Grilled Potato Packets Recipe
- 2 pounds medium red potatoes (about 7), cut into wedges
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 6 slices ready-to-serve fully cooked bacon, chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. In a large bowl, toss potatoes with green onions, bacon, salt and pepper. Place half of the mixture on a greased double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 18 in. square); dot with 1 tablespoon butter. Fold foil over potato mixture and crimp edges to seal. Repeat to make a second packet.
- 2. Grill, covered, over medium heat 20-23 minutes on each side or until potatoes are tender. Remove from grill.
- 3. Open foil carefully to allow steam to escape. Sprinkle potatoes with cheese. Grill opened packets, covered, 3-5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
3/4 cup equals 165 calories, 8 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 388 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fat, 1 starch.
Reviews for Grilled Potato Packets
"I make packets on the grill with either chicken breast or kielbasa, throw in some carrots, baby reds, onions, green peppers, etc., along with 3-4 ice cubes for moisture. It usually takes about 1.5 hours on my charcoal grill. Yummy to sprinkle with cheese."
"A favorite in our house. I cube the potatoes instead of wedges, cooks faster and easier for kids to eat."
"Really easy and good. I made on the grill and in the oven. Both ways are good."
"These potatoes were wonderful! I made a small batch for the two of us and parboiled the potatoes so we wouldn't have to grill them quite so long. This is definitely a "keeper" recipe and one that we'll be making often!"
"These were so good. I made a smaller batch and used regular onions instead of green ones. We will be making these often."
"I LOVE these. I did parcook the potatoes on the stove first in salted water. It speeds up the process. I also used more pepper and served with a dollop of sour cream. We will be making these again."
"I've been making this recipe for years with Monterey Jack cheese. So tasty!"
"I make something similar to this but I don't cook the potatoes in a pouch. I use small red potatoes cut in half and tossed in olive oil, garlic and Italian seasoning. I place them cut side down on a foil lined baking pan and bake in a 350 degree oven until they are done and the cut side is crispy. I then add the other ingredients and wrap it in the foil until the cheese is melted."
"I have been making a similar recipe to this for years, and it is a favorite of ours. I don't use the cheese or bacon, and I spray cooking spray on the foil to keep from sticking, and only put 1teas. butter to flavor. I divide up into individual packets to help it cook quicker (about 1 1/2 potatoes each) and just use chopped regular onions. Always a big hit with family, but the foil can be messy."
"This was great! I didn't have enough gas left in the grill :) so I put the packet in the oven at 400 degrees for the same amount of time. I also omitted the cheese to save calories - the potatoes were delicious on their own!"
"Very good! Will probably make again."
"I've made this recipe twice now- once with the butter and once without. It was excellent both times! Even my kids who hate potatoes ate it right up! I cooked it in the oven at 350 degrees for about an hour. YUM!"
"Quick easy and delish!! Thanks"