Grilled Pork with Avocado Salsa Recipe
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup chopped seeded jalapeno peppers
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 pork tenderloins (3/4 pound each), cut into 3/4-inch slices
- 2 medium ripe avocados, peeled and chopped
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 small cucumber, seeded and chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons jalapeno pepper jelly
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Pour 1/2 cup marinade into a large resealable plastic bag; add pork. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for up to 2 hours. Reserve 1/3 cup of the remaining marinade. Place the rest of the marinade in a large bowl; add the avocados, tomatoes, cucumber, green onions, cilantro, honey, salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- 2. In a small saucepan, combine the jelly and reserved marinade. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- 3. Drain and discard marinade. Rub pork with steak seasoning. Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill, uncovered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 4-6 minutes on each side or until juices run clear, brushing occasionally with jelly mixture. Serve with avocado salsa. Yield: 6 servings.
3 ounces cooked pork with 1/2 cup salsa equals 326 calories, 18 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 63 mg cholesterol, 159 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 25 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 fat, 1 starch.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.