Once reserved for Asian royalty and guarded by warriors, shiitake mushrooms are prized for their rich flavor and meaty texture. Seasoned with oil and herbs, they taste great hot off the grill.—Steven Stumpf, Shiocton, Wisconsin
8-10 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1/2 pound fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon each minced fresh thyme, sage, oregano and basil, combined
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Remove and discard stems from mushroom caps. Score caps lightly with
- a sharp knife. Brush both sides with oil. Rub with herbs and
- sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Grill, cap side down, over medium heat 2-3 minutes on each side; or
- until juices form in the caps and mushrooms are tender. Serve hot or
- at room temperature. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Editor's Note: Medium fresh white mushrooms can be substituted for the shiitakes, but do not score them. Thread on skewers to grill.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 54 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, trace sodium, 1 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.