Grilled Meat Loaves Recipe
- 1 egg white
- 1/3 cup fat-free milk
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1 slice rye bread, crumbled
- 1/4 cup grated carrot
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 4-1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the egg white, milk and horseradish. Stir in the bread, carrot, onion, parsley, salt and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into four small loaves.
- 2. Grill loaves, covered, over medium-hot heat or broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 8 minutes on each side.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine the sauce ingredients; spoon over loaves. Cook for 2-3 minutes longer or until a meat thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 4 servings.
1 meat loaf equals 241 calories, 9 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 70 mg cholesterol, 569 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 24 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.