Grilled Mango-Glazed Ham Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped jalapeno pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 medium ripe mango or 2 medium ripe peaches, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1 fully cooked boneless ham steak (about 2 pounds)
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a small saucepan, combine the vinegar, sugar, jalapeno and ginger. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 25-30 minutes or until glaze is thick and caramelized. Strain and cool. Place mango in a food processor or blender; cover and process until smooth. Stir into glaze; set aside.
- 2. Sprinkle both sides of ham steak with pepper. Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 10 minutes on each side or until heated through. Brush both sides of ham with mango glaze; grill 5 minutes longer. Serve ham with remaining glaze. Yield: 8 servings.
One serving (4 ounces cooked ham with 2 tablespoons glaze) equals 251 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 60 mg cholesterol, 1,454 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 21 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch, 1/2 fruit.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.