Grilled Mango-Glazed Ham
I'm always looking for new ways to prepare ham...but many of my cookbooks have the same old tried-and-true glazes," say Sandy Lewis from Appleton, Wisconsin. "When I tried this one, I knew I had hit the jackpot!
8 ServingsPrep: 30 min. + Grill: 25 min.
- 1-1/2 cups red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped jalapeno pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 medium ripe mango or 2 medium ripe peaches, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1 bone-in fully cooked lean ham steak (about 2 pounds)
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a small saucepan, combine the vinegar, sugar, jalapeno and ginger.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 25-30 minutes
- or until glaze is thick and caramelized. Strain and cool. Place
- mango in a food processor or blender; cover and process until
- smooth. Stir into glaze; set aside.
- Sprinkle both sides of ham steak with pepper. Using long-handled
- tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the
- grill rack. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 10 minutes on each
- side or until heated through. Brush both sides of ham with mango
- glaze; grill 5 minutes longer. Serve ham with remaining glaze.
- Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (4 ounces cooked ham with 2 tablespoons glaze) equals 251 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 60 mg cholesterol, 1,454 mg sodium,