Grilled Lebanese Salad Recipe
Amazingly, even our kids eat their greens, herbs and garden veggies when they’re prepared this way. Fresh and healthy never tasted more delicious.—Trisha Kruse, Eagle, Idaho
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Grill: 10 min. YIELD:13 servings
- 8 plum tomatoes
- 1/2 pound whole fresh mushrooms
- 2 medium red onions
- 2 medium green peppers
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 4 cups cubed French bread (3/4-in. cubes)
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1. Cut tomatoes and mushrooms in half; place in a large bowl. Cut onions and peppers into 1/2-in.-thick slices; add to bowl. Drizzle with 4 tablespoons oil and sprinkle with garlic salt; toss to coat.
- 2. Place bread cubes in another large bowl. Drizzle with remaining oil. Sprinkle with thyme, oregano, salt and pepper; toss to coat. Thread on metal or soaked wooden skewers.
- 3. Transfer vegetables to a grill wok or basket. Grill, uncovered, over medium heat for 8-12 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Grill bread cubes, covered, over medium heat for 1 to 2 minutes or until toasted, turning occasionally.
- 4. Coarsely chop the tomatoes, onions and peppers; place in a large bowl. Add the mushrooms, bread cubes, cucumber and basil; drizzle with vinegar and gently toss to coat. Yield: 13 servings (3/4 cup each).
3/4 cup equals 113 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 239 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC