Grilled Italian Sausage Sandwiches Recipe
—Mike Yaeger, Brookings, South Dakota
- 4 large green peppers, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (12 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 20 uncooked Italian sausage links
- 20 sandwich buns
- Shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, optional
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute peppers and onion in oil until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in the tomato sauce, tomato paste, water, sugar, basil, salt and oregano. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until heated through.
- 2. Meanwhile, grill sausages, covered, over medium heat for 10-16 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°, turning occasionally. Serve on buns with sauce and cheese if desired. Yield: 20 servings.
1 each: 525 calories, 28g fat (10g saturated fat), 60mg cholesterol, 1327mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 2g fiber), 25g protein.
Reviews for Grilled Italian Sausage Sandwiches
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC