Grilled Italian Meatball Burgers Recipe
I just love these burgers! They're a big hit with kids and adults. I serve them with sliced green peppers, tomato and onion slices and a jar of crushed red peppers on the side for adults. Kids enjoy them best "as is." —Priscilla Gilbert, Indian Harbour Beach, Florida
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Grill: 15 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 pound Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 8 kaiser rolls, split
- 1 cup roasted garlic Parmesan spaghetti sauce, warmed
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Crumble beef and sausage over mixture and mix well. Shape into eight burgers.
- 2. Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill burgers, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 165° and juices run clear.
- 3. Sprinkle burgers with cheese; cook 2-3 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Remove and keep warm.
- 4. Grill or broil rolls for 1-2 minutes or until toasted. Serve burgers on rolls with spaghetti sauce. Yield: 8 servings.
1 burger equals 399 calories, 14 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 102 mg cholesterol, 743 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 30 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC