Grilled Italian Eggplant Slices
What a fabulous way to dress up eggplant! Piled high with herbs, cheese and fresh tomatoes, this fail-proof, grilled side nicely complements a variety of main dishes. —Theresa LaSalle, Midlothian, Virginia
5 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 5 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh oregano
- 1 large eggplant, cut into 10 slices
- 10 slices tomato
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a small bowl, combine the first six ingredients.
- Grill eggplant, covered, over medium heat for 3 minutes. Turn slices;
- spoon Parmesan mixture onto each. Top with tomato; sprinkle with
- mozzarella cheese. Grill, covered, 2-3 minutes longer or until
- cheese is melted. Yield: 5 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 2 eggplant slices equals 134 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 9 mg cholesterol, 129 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat.