- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 cup sherry or chicken broth
- 2-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 24 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 5 pounds)
- In a small bowl, mix the first six ingredients. Reserve 1-1/3 cups for basting; cover and refrigerate. Divide remaining marinade between two large resealable plastic bags. Add 12 chicken thighs to each; seal bags and turn to coat. Refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Drain and discard marinade from chicken. Moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, lightly coat the grill rack.
- Grill chicken, covered, over medium heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until no longer pink; baste occasionally with reserved marinade during the last 5 minutes. Yield: 12 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Grilled Huli Huli Chicken
"Excellent recipe. I used boneless skinless chicken breasts. I did not have fresh ginger or garlic, but I have a Ginger Teriyaki seasoning. I used 2 teaspoons. It was delicious."
"Excellent BBQ recipe! This has become a family favorite."
"I used bone-in chicken thighs and less brown sugar than the recipe called for. Our family enjoyed it very much."
"Used boneless skinless chicken breasts and it was still really good!"
"My family loved this recipe, and I made it for my mission team while on a trip, and they loved it! Every time I make it, people ask for the recipe -- it's a winner!"
"I have made this several times and it is consistently delicious! I omit the sherry/chicken broth."
"This was delicious and easy to fix. Will definitely do this again."
"A family favorite! Marinade for a full 24 hours for an all-out knock-your-socks-off taste."