- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 cup sherry or chicken broth
- 2-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 24 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 5 pounds)
- In a small bowl, mix the first six ingredients. Reserve 1-1/3 cups for basting; cover and refrigerate. Divide remaining marinade between two large resealable plastic bags. Add 12 chicken thighs to each; seal bags and turn to coat. Refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Drain and discard marinade from chicken. Moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, lightly coat the grill rack.
- Grill chicken, covered, over medium heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until no longer pink; baste occasionally with reserved marinade during the last 5 minutes. Yield: 12 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Grilled Huli Huli Chicken
Sort By :
"I needed to come up with a quick dinner tonight. A friend posted this recipe on her FB page and it looked delicious. I used chicken breast instead of thighs and heated the marinade to pour over the chicken. I also used it on the chicken as it cooked on my stove top grill pan. It was a big hit! I served it over RiceARoni chicken flavored pasta. It would've been better had I had the time to allow it to marinate. This one's a keeper for sure!"
"Hands down, the best grilled chicken I've ever eaten. I didn't change a thing, other than scaling back all quantities for less chicken. The full recipe will be fantastic for summer get-togethers with more of a crowd. I'm already imagining using some of the basting sauce on some grilled pineapple next time!"
"Made this last night , and this is a KEEPER!! So yummy, did exactly as the recipe states , absolutely delish!!"
"This is a go-to recipe in our house, especially when we have people over in the summer. Whenever I make it, people always ask me for the recipe.The only change I make is to use boneless chicken breasts rather than chicken thighs."
"So much flavor! Was a huge success at Father's Day barbeque. Everyone couldn't get enough! I used both thighs and skinless boneless breasts. I used chicken broth and 1/4 tsp of ground ginger. Will definitely make this again and again!"