- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 cup sherry or chicken broth
- 2-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 24 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 5 pounds)
- In a small bowl, mix the first six ingredients. Reserve 1-1/3 cups for basting; cover and refrigerate. Divide remaining marinade between two large resealable plastic bags. Add 12 chicken thighs to each; seal bags and turn to coat. Refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Drain and discard marinade from chicken. Moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, lightly coat the grill rack.
- Grill chicken, covered, over medium heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until no longer pink; baste occasionally with reserved marinade during the last 5 minutes. Yield: 12 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Grilled Huli Huli Chicken
Sort By :
"Used it with some thin cut chicken breasts and had excellent flavor with the grill marks. Can see why it would be great with thighs or wings."
"I have to admit, I tried this recipe because I thought the name was so cute. I was going to a football party so I used wings instead of thighs. It was a big hit. They licked the platter clean!"
"My family loves this recipe. I reduced the amount of ingredients to fit 4 boneless chicken breast and I have an indoor grill. Favor is fabulous"
"I needed to come up with a quick dinner tonight. A friend posted this recipe on her FB page and it looked delicious. I used chicken breast instead of thighs and heated the marinade to pour over the chicken. I also used it on the chicken as it cooked on my stove top grill pan. It was a big hit! I served it over RiceARoni chicken flavored pasta. It would've been better had I had the time to allow it to marinate. This one's a keeper for sure!"
"Hands down, the best grilled chicken I've ever eaten. I didn't change a thing, other than scaling back all quantities for less chicken. The full recipe will be fantastic for summer get-togethers with more of a crowd. I'm already imagining using some of the basting sauce on some grilled pineapple next time!"