- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 cup sherry or chicken broth
- 2-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 24 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 5 pounds)
- In a small bowl, mix the first six ingredients. Reserve 1-1/3 cups for basting; cover and refrigerate. Divide remaining marinade between two large resealable plastic bags. Add 12 chicken thighs to each; seal bags and turn to coat. Refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Drain and discard marinade from chicken. Moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, lightly coat the grill rack.
- Grill chicken, covered, over medium heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until no longer pink; baste occasionally with reserved marinade during the last 5 minutes. Yield: 12 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Grilled Huli Huli Chicken
"My family loved this recipe, and I made it for my mission team while on a trip, and they loved it! Every time I make it, people ask for the recipe -- it's a winner!"
"So easy and so good! I made the recipe exact, just cut it in half. After eating it though wish I hadn't, would have enjoyed leftovers. The chicken was so flavorful and moist, marinated overnight. Thanks for sharing recipe!"
"I have made this several times and it is consistently delicious! I omit the sherry/chicken broth."
"This was delicious and easy to fix. Will definitely do this again."
"A family favorite! Marinade for a full 24 hours for an all-out knock-your-socks-off taste."
"Made this recipe for a Memorial Day BBQ & it got rave reviews...now my go to grilled chicken recipe"
"This moist, flavorful chicken was a big hit! I will definitely be using this recipe again!"
"We enjoyed this recipe. l will make it again. We liked the sweetness the chicken had."
"I used this on chicken breasts, and my family enjoyed it. Turned out quite moist!"