- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 cup sherry or chicken broth
- 2-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 24 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 5 pounds)
- In a small bowl, mix the first six ingredients. Reserve 1-1/3 cups for basting; cover and refrigerate. Divide remaining marinade between two large resealable plastic bags. Add 12 chicken thighs to each; seal bags and turn to coat. Refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Drain and discard marinade from chicken. Moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, lightly coat the grill rack.
- Grill chicken, covered, over medium heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until no longer pink; baste occasionally with reserved marinade during the last 5 minutes. Yield: 12 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Grilled Huli Huli Chicken
Sort By :
"This is a go-to recipe in our house, especially when we have people over in the summer. Whenever I make it, people always ask me for the recipe.The only change I make is to use boneless chicken breasts rather than chicken thighs."
"So much flavor! Was a huge success at Father's Day barbeque. Everyone couldn't get enough! I used both thighs and skinless boneless breasts. I used chicken broth and 1/4 tsp of ground ginger. Will definitely make this again and again!"
"Fantastic! I didn't have sherry or broth, so I used a dry Marsala I had on hand. My family and friends really enjoyed this for Sunday dinner. This marinade would be good with any cut of chicken. We used thighs and wings. I served this with macaroni salad and fresh cut pineapple."
"Tasty and tangy grilled chicken! I halved the recipe and used boneless skinless chicken breast pieces."
"This chicken - IS...AMAZING!! I have made it upwards of 5 or 6 times now, and it never gets old. I've used both chicken breasts and chicken legs and it is delightful in any form! Instead of sherry/broth I've just used water, and have used ground ginger in place of the fresh gingeroot. A truly delicious chicken dish!"