Grilled Halibut Tacos with Salsa Verde Recipe
- 1 pound tomatillos, husks removed
- 1 small sweet onion, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 4 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 serrano pepper, seeded
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Dash salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 pounds halibut steaks
- 8 corn tortillas (6 inches)
- 2-1/2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1. Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. For salsa, place the tomatillos, onion and garlic on a grilling grid; place on a grill rack. Grill, covered, over medium heat until tender and browned, turning frequently. Cool to room temperature.
- 2. Remove skin from garlic. Transfer grilled vegetables to a food processor. Add the cilantro, serrano pepper, lime juice, salt and pepper. Cover and pulse until chunky. Refrigerate until serving.
- 3. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the lime juice, oil, salt, garlic powder, coriander, cumin and cayenne; add halibut. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for up to 1 hour.
- 4. Drain and discard marinade. Grill halibut, covered, over medium heat for 4-6 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Flake fish into 1-1/2 in. pieces; cool to room temperature.
- 5. To serve, top tortillas with fish, cabbage and salsa. Yield: 8 servings.
1 taco equals 265 calories, 9 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 36 mg cholesterol, 722 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 27 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.