Grilled Garlic Cheese Grits Recipe
"Grits are an everyday food here in the South, I came up with this easy recipe one day when I ran out of potatoes. It's a great alternative to a baked potato when served with grilled steak or chicken," offer Holly Bonds of Smyrna, Georgia.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 40 min. + cooling Grill: 10 min. YIELD:9 servings
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked old-fashioned grits
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1. In a saucepan, bring water to a boil. Slowly add grits and salt, stirring constantly. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 40-45 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Add cheese and garlic; stir until cheese is melted. Pour into a 9-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and refrigerate for 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until firm.
- 2. Cut grits into 3-in. squares; brush both sides with oil. Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 4-6 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Yield: 9 servings.
One piece equals 108 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 7 mg cholesterol, 337 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC