Grilled Fruit Skewers with Chocolate Syrup
With toasted angel food cake and chocolate syrup, this recipe makes fruit seem especially decadent. It's the perfect treat for a summer party. —Melissa Birdsong, Gilbert, South Carolina
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 cups cubed angel food cake
- 1 cup fresh strawberries
- 1 cup cubed fresh pineapple
- 1 cup cubed cantaloupe
- 1 large banana, cut into 1-inch slices
- 2 medium plums, pitted and quartered
- Butter-flavored cooking spray
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 8 teaspoons chocolate syrup
- On eight metal or soaked wooden skewers, alternately thread cake
- cubes and fruits. Spritz each skewer with butter-flavored spray and
- roll in brown sugar.
- Place skewers on a piece of heavy-duty foil. Place foil on grill
- rack. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 4-5 minutes on each side
- or until fruits are tender, turning once. Drizzle each skewer with 1
- teaspoon chocolate syrup. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 skewer equals 131 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 93 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber,