We grow eggplant and love to use it for our special pizza. Grilling adds robust flavor to the crust, veggies and garlic. Waiting for the eggplant to grow is the hardest part! —Judy Barrett, Chelsea, Alabama
- 2 small eggplants
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large sweet red pepper, halved and sliced
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced
- 12 garlic cloves, halved
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 whole pita breads
- 1 large tomato, seeded and chopped
- 3/4 cup shredded fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup pitted ripe olives, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 1 cup loosely packed basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- Cut eggplants into 3/4-in. slices. Place in a colander over a plate; sprinkle with salt and toss. Let stand 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, toss red pepper, onion and garlic with 1 tablespoon oil. Transfer to a grill wok or open grill basket; place on grill rack. Grill, uncovered, over medium-high heat 8-12 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender and slightly charred, stirring frequently.
- Rinse and drain eggplants; blot dry with paper towels. Brush eggplants with 1 tablespoon oil; sprinkle with pepper. Grill, covered, over medium heat 4-5 minutes on each side or until tender. Cut each slice into quarters.
- Brush both sides of pita breads with remaining oil. Grill, covered, over medium-low heat 1-2 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned. Remove from grill.
- Layer grilled sides of pitas with grilled vegetables, tomato, cheese and olives. If desired, sprinkle with pepper flakes. Return to grill; cook, covered, 3-4 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle with basil. Yield: 4 pizzas.
Originally published as Grilled Eggplant Pita Pizzas in Taste of Home June/July 2014
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Grilled Eggplant Pita Pizzas
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review