- 1/2 cup pitted ripe olives
- 2 to 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large eggplant, cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 large sweet red peppers, quartered
- 8 slices firm white bread (1/2 inch thick)
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- Place the first five ingredients in a food processor; cover and process until pureed. While processing, gradually add oil in a steady stream; process until blended. Set aside.
- For sandwiches, in a small bowl, combine the oil, garlic, pepper and salt; brush over eggplant and red peppers. Prepare grill for indirect heat, using a drip pan. Arrange vegetables on a grilling grid; place on a grill rack over drip pan.
- Grill, covered, over indirect medium heat for 10-12 minutes or until tender. Remove and keep warm. Grill bread over medium heat 1-2 minutes on each side or until toasted.
- Spread olive mixture over toast. Top four slices with vegetables and basil; top with remaining toast. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Grilled Eggplant Pepper Sandwiches
"We really enjoyed it. It is a bit of work for just a sandwich, but we will have it again. Probaby add some Monterrey cheese."
"Made these last night, they were very good, let several people try them and it was a hit. I did add a little Monterrey cheese."
"Even my husband, who dislikes eggplant, loves this sandwich."
"We made this because we had 5 vegetarians coming to our BBQ. It was really tasty, that can't be denied. But the prep work an expensive (in our area) ingredients doesn't make up for the fact that it's still just a sandwich."
"We made this because we had 5 vegetarians coming to our BBQ. It was really tasty, that can't be denied. But the prep work doesn't make up for the fact that it's still just a sandwich."
"Since it was raining when I wanted to try this recipie, I used the broiling feature of my toaster oven. Even without the added flavor of the grill, it was very good."
"Yum!! I used crusty sub rolls instead of toast. So good..........."
"Excellent! I added cheese to ours and put them on the "foreman". Husband was happy but my kids still wouldn't eat them."